Among the three-smartphone launched, the Xiaomi Mi 8 Explorer Edition stole the show with its transparent design. Inspired by the YouTubers, the company has placed a transparent back glass on the Mi 8 Explorer. It is the most expensive among them, with the highest specs and features included. The Explorer Edition has all the features of Mi 8 with the addition of extra 8GB RAM option.
Similarly, the company has introduced an in-display fingerprint scanner too, on the Mi 8 Explorer edition. Whereas the regular Mi 8 and Mi 8 SE have a fingerprint scanner at the back of the phone.
The Xiaomi Mi 8 Explorer comes with 6.21-inch OLED screen from Samsung, 1080X2248 pixel resolution and protected by Corning Gorilla Glass display, a notch on the top. The cutout is used for an in-house infrared solution for 3D Face Unlock that works in a dark environment. Further, it has a four-way curved glass back -panel with aluminum holding both screens together.
Inside, there is a Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 845 processor, which is the latest and best SoC from the company, octa-core CPU clocked at 2.8GHz. The processor is coupled with 8GB RAM, with 128GB internal storage options. There is no another option/variant in terms of RAM capacity.
The optics department is also quite the mouth-watering feature. There is a dual camera setup as the primary shooter, with 12-megapixel, f/1.8 aperture + 12-megapixel, f/2.4 aperture. 2X optical zoom, dual pixel phase detection, autofocus, dual-LED flash are some features. Similarly, for selfies, there is a 20-megapixel sensor on the front with f/2.- aperture. It brings AI features enhancement for over 200 scenes and does 4-in-1-pixel binning for better low-light shots. The primary sensor is IMX363 by Sony, while the secondary is S5K3M3 by Samsung.
The phone runs on Android 8.1 Oreo, MIUI 10 on the top. To back up the internals, there is a Non-removable Li-Po 3000 mAh battery, with fast charging (Quick Charge 4.0+) feature. The launch date has not been fixed yet, but it will go on sale at $577 (Approx. Rs. 60,500 only)
- Display: 6.21 inches Super AMOLED capacitive screen, 1080 x 2248 pixels, Corning Gorilla Glass
- Processor: Qualcomm SDM845 Snapdragon 845, Octa-core (4×2.8 GHz Kryo 385 Gold & 4×1.8 GHz Kryo 385 Silver)
- GPU: Adreno 630
- OS: Android 8.1 (Oreo), MIUI 10
- Memory: 128 GB, 8 GB RAM
- Primary Camera: Dual: 12 MP (f/1.8, 1/2.55″, 1.4µm, 4-axis OIS, dual-pixel PDAF) + 12 MP (f/2.4, 1/3.4″, 1.0µm)
- Secondary Camera: 20 MP (f/2.0, 1.8µm), 1080p
- Sensors: Infrared face recognition, fingerprint (in-display), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, barometer, compass
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi, DUAL GPS, Bluetooth 5.0, USB Type-C 1.0 reversible
- Battery: Non-removable Li-Po 3000 mAh battery, Quick Charge 4.0+
- Colors: Black (transparent back)
Discussion about this post