On Wednesday Yahoo has disclosed that it was attacked by a hacker, which has affected more than 1 billion user account. This attack is even worse than the earlier attack where 500 million yahoo account were compromised.
With this record number of the breach, this time changing the password or enabling two-step verification might not be enough. This might be a time you say goodbye to Yahoo.
What should you before deleting your account
- When you delete your Yahoo account, you will lose access to all Yahoo services, including Yahoo Mail, Flickr, and Fantasy leagues on Yahoo Fantasy Sports. Make sure all important information stored on a Yahoo service must be saved before closing down your account. This means saving mail and attachments in the Yahoo Mail, moving photos on Flickr to other cloud-based services like Google Photos, Dropbox, and others
- Even if you use Yahoo Account Key to access your account without a password, you will need to enter your account password in order to delete your account.
Save important emails
You might be using a Yahoo account just to use Flickr to backup your photos, then you have an alternative to backup photos with Google photos or Dropbox. But, if you are using Yahoo Mail as your primary email account, then you should save any important emails and contacts before you delete your account.
Sadly, there are not any tools to export to those data to another service, so you’ll have to save individual messages, attachments, and contacts manually. But if you’re switching to Gmail, there is a tool that makes switching easy
How to switch from Yahoo Mail to Gmail
From your Gmail inbox, click the gear icon button in the upper-right corner and click Settings Next, click Accounts and Import at the top of the page and then click Import mail and contacts. Here, you can enter your Yahoo email address and import your Yahoo data to Gmail. You can choose to import contacts, import mail and import new mail for the next 30 days.
Time to terminate
With your Yahoo affairs in order and your password handy, you are five quick steps away from deleting your account
- Go to the Terminating your Yahoo account page. (If you use a phone number to sign in, go to the alternative account termination page instead.)
- Read the information about deleting your account to be sure you want to proceed.
- Enter your password
- Enter re captcha code
- Click the button labeled Terminate this account.
But if you wish to continue to use the Yahoo account, then here are steps to secure your account.
Discussion about this post